Ulf's Test Kitchen

Non Game related posts
Ulf Hreda

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:07 pm  

Hokay, folks...my first entry. This one might be a bit trickier as to ingredients for my friends overseas...but it was my first 'interculture' creation, so I'm posting it first.

The idea behind my dishes is to take 'everyday' foods and infuse ingredients from (or just popular in) Mexico and the Southwest.

So with that in mind:

Borderland GOATLOAF!

1 1/2 Pound Ground Cabrito.

The bad news here is that you'll probably have to grind it yourself. While you can find goat at pretty much any Mexican grocer (or in Europe a Halal butcher), not many will do the grinding. Goat generally comes 'on the bone', so you'll have to make allowances when buying.

1 cup chopped onion

(white is a bit more 'Mexican', but feel free to go with a Texas 1015 if you feel the need)

2 Chopped Serranos.
My wife doesn't like spicy foods, but after I made a loaf without chiles, even she thought something was missing.

2 Minced Garlic Cloves.
Once again, the brown garlic is more Mexican, but if white is all you can find...

Chile Powder:
Amounts differ depending on type: I used an Heirloom Powder from Chimayo, New Mexico. Because of the strength of its unique flavor, I used 1 1/2 tablespoons. If using generic powder, go with 2. Alternatively, you might try the same with ground ancho (smoked/dried poblanos)

(For my European friends, I'd try the ancho first...Chimayo will probably be next to impossible to find over there)

1 Cup Panko.
Panko is a Japanese style bread crumb - it gives a much better consistency. You can find panko in the Asian section of just about any grocers.

1 1/2 teaspoon (dried) Verbena.
In the US, verbena is also sold as 'Mexican oregano' Despite the name, it's actually an entirely different plant.

2 Teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 cup Unsweetened Corn

2 Eggs.

1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes.
I actually used 2 cans the first time...and it was too much,

1 package '5 style Mexican Cheese' (or whatever your fave might be). I topyed with the idea of using a real Mexican cheese here, but felt the semi-soft consistency wouldn't work well.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. (gonna have to convert that to Celsius yerself)

Mix the onions, serranos, garlic, chile powder, salt, cumin and verbena. Heat them in a little olive oil over medium low for several minutes, stirring occasionally. Ad the tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes or so.
Let that cool, then mix it with the cabrito, panko, corn and eggs.

Transfer the mixture to your baking pan and shape it into a loaf. Bake for an hour 20. Sprinkle cheese (as much or little as you like) over the top and put it back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts.

Ulf Hreda

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm  

Will put up some kind of dessert or pastry next...

Alphastream

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 pm  

Bravo, Ulf! I'm going to try this, for sure!
Playing:
Dagdra Deepforge: Dwarven Cleric
Garla Shieldbreaker: Half-Orc Great Weapon Fighter
Zendra Soulseeker: Moon Elf Warlock
Jalazea Shieldborn: Tiefling Paladin
My Dungeons & Dragons blog can be found here!

Bobi

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:46 pm  

I am intrigued but never ever seen goat here so might have to substitute. :? Would lamb or pork mince work?

And will have to make it very mild chilli for poor old Sigill :lol:
Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Ulf Hreda

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:26 pm  

Someone (online) told me they had made my recipe with lamb and enjoyed it...I have not, personally. I like lamb, and am sure it would be a fine substitute...but would substantially alter the taste. Goat has its own unique flavor (and not everyone likes it, I can relate...I don't like duck or salmon), but I have done different loafs with lamb and lamb/pork mixtures and they were good...just not this particular recipe.

Ulf Hreda

Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 am  

Champurrado Scones

Hokay...champurrado is a kind of 'Mexican Hot Chocolate'.

(and this one is much simpler...really)

I just tried to make a scone with the distinctive taste.

The Bad News: I mention 'champurrado powder' below. You won't be able to just find such a thing. I used a chocolate handmade by a fella from Oaxaca...prolly not something you're gonna find in London. So here's the deal. Grind (or buy) some Mexican chocolate powder. This you can find. Taza or Rancho Gordo chocolates would be my recommendation, but they can be pricey (and hard to find).

Luckily, Ibarra will work just fine. While not as fancy as the boutique brands...I've actually watched them grind Ibarra at storefronts in Oaxaca...and you can find Ibarra anywhere.

combine that with canela (real cinnamon...not the stuff labelled cinnamon in grocery stores) and some pinoncillo (if overseas, you can just use plain sugar) to taste.

and with that...here we go...the rest is easy:

(Dry Ingredients)
1 3/4 Flour
1/4 cup Champurrado Powder
1/2 Tbs. Powdered Ancho Chile (might go heavier on this...it was just a starting point)
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2-1 Tsp Salt
Pecan bits to taste
(Wet ingredients):
1 egg
1 Tsp. Vanilla
3/4 Cup Cream - Okay, I didn't have time to make a real 'crema' (did this last minute) and just used some packaged heavy cream from the grocery store, but next time will use the 'real deal' (see footnote)
2 Tbs. Shortening.
1/2 stick of Unsweetened Butter
Combine the dry ingredients, then add the butter and shortening. The butter should be broken up into clumps...Do NOT overmix...you want it to just be 'spread around' - NOT a consistent dough.
Mix the egg/Cream/Vanilla separately and blend the mixture (again, not too much).
Shape them as you like (I just use a triangle pan) and bake at 375.

if you wanna make real crema:

Heat a cup of heavy cream to 100 degrees F.

Drop in a tablespoon of buttermilk (or yogurt), cover and leave out for 24 hours.

Nromally I'd blend in a guajillo and some salt after...but recipe above already has those

•   Information