Tomb of Annihilation! - Next Expansion is Chult!

General Game related posts
Alphastream

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:25 am  

Dungeons & Dragons will be announcing its upcoming season Friday June 2 - Saturday June 3!

The announcement will take place starting at 10 AM Pacific US time, and will then be followed by a series of games streamed live. The games feature well-known gamers and D&D streamers, who have traveled to Wizards of the Coast's offices for the event.

Specific to Neverwinter, lead designer Thomas Foss will be on Friday at 12 PM PST for an interview on upcoming content. He will also play in a game at 2:30 PM PST.

A list of all the other events is here. This is a great way to check out some of the very popular D&D livestreams.

The only news I can share is that I was a designer on the D&D Open event: a multi-table D&D adventure taking place at the Origins convention in about two weeks. This is the biggest event of the year for D&D conventions, and it was super-fun to work on the project!
Playing:
Dagdra Deepforge: Dwarven Cleric
Garla Shieldbreaker: Half-Orc Great Weapon Fighter
Zendra Soulseeker: Moon Elf Warlock
Jalazea Shieldborn: Tiefling Paladin
My Dungeons & Dragons blog can be found here!

Alphastream

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:19 pm  

And the news is out! The next expansion for Neverwinter will take us far to the south, to the land of Chult!

You can watch the teaser here!

During the live stream, lead dev Thomas Foss said Chult will feature some new mounts (sounds like dinosaurs!), a cool port area, deals with merchant princes, a big hunt, giant zombie t-rexes, and more!
Playing:

General Pancake

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:29 am  

dino fucking saurs

Alphastream

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:59 pm  

Playing:

General Pancake

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:50 pm  

I also asked someone who works for neverwinter and he told me there will be dinosaur mounts!

Never thought I'd consider not using this starfade stag :^)

Alphastream

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 pm  

The devs have been releasing information about the new expansion. The expansion is also now on preview.

Overview of the campaign.

Designing the art

NWO site has information on the new zones and campaign progression.

This earlier post captures possible changes coming to Armor Penetration and debuffs.
"Here’s how those powers used to work:
* There was a hard cap of +200% bonus total damage from such powers
* A few (more or less random) powers weren’t part of that hardcap
* Tooltips added to the confusion by sometimes referring to these powers as “reducing enemy damage resistance” and sometimes as “enemies take X% more damage” (this had nothing to do with whether they were hardcapped or not, and was just an inconsistent phrasing choice).
The system as a whole was not great, because it was very confusing and inconsistent. For beginning players, the fact that a power labeled as “reduces enemy damage resistance” could result in you doing more than 100% damage (something that does not happen with Armor Penetration, although it's described in a similar way) was not at all intuitive. For players doing the hardest group content, it was necessary to learn which powers were in the hardcap group, get to +200% with those powers, and then stack as many of the miscellaneous uncapped powers as possible. Also, there was a feeling among many players that the minor +% damage powers in the capped group were basically worthless because groups would reach the hardcap with the big +% damage powers.

Here’s how things work now:
* The +200% hard cap is gone. Every additional debuff will help at least a little.
* There are diminishing returns capped at +300% bonus damage from these debuffs, ie, diminishing returns to bonus damage so that the total can never exceed (or even quite reach) +300%.
** Just to give a rough idea, at +1% to +60%, you won’t see much if any change. At +100%, you’ll get reduced to +92%. At +200% (the old hardcap) you’ll be at about +160%, and so on.
** Note bonus damage from Power and from various buffs on the attacker is not part of this system, and hasn’t changed in any way.
* Tooltips have been clarified to phrase everything as “enemies take more damage” to make it clear that (unlike with Armor Penetration) you CAN overcome an enemy’s defenses and do more than 100% damage.
Our intention with the new system is for all damage vulnerability debuff powers to have a chance to be relevant (without just breaking the game), and to have the whole system clearer and easier to understand."

The ArPen change seems to primarily impact PvP, where it worked poorly. But, it likely impacts PvE as well.
Playing:

Alphastream

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 pm  

Dev blog with awesome pictures of Port Nyanzaru, which includes fishing.

Story overview.

Creting the Soshenstar River zone look

Additional dev blog I missed on "Stronger Enemies, Stronger Equipment"
- Stronger enemies than ever before
- Bazaar has IL 420 equipment directly for purchase with AD
- New Non-Masterwork profession recipes for IL 420 and 430 equipment
- New IL 460 equipment in Zen Market / Trade Bar Store
- Unique IL 480 drops from hunt marks, 480 set drops from upcoming Epic dungeon
- Seal of the Brave is new for the dungeon, trade for IL 500 equipment set. Has a weekly earning limit of 1200 seals total for the week (even if you spend them, can't earn more).

And discussion on changes coming to remove Seals of the Elements and phase out Alliance armor and other older gear. The keys here for mod 12 are apparently:
- Unrestored relic armor and restoration reagents will be available for Seals of Prot! (Replaces old Elven armor)
- Ostorian purple rings can be purchased at the trader (for 300 Prot). They are character bound.
- Relic weapon reagents will not be in the store, so still have to farm those. Can buy some things, such as Lanolin, Borax, Permafrost Shard, Ostorian Resin, Dragon Shell Oil. Lanolin is 15 seals of Prot! Not bad! (You can get Voninblod the usual way farming it in Storm King zones, or in RD from the trader in exchange for RD currency).
- It may be a great time to sell Lanolin before prices crash!
- Enchants are now all available (Plaguefire was previously not at trader, for example) and cost 300 Prot.
- There is currently no Bind-to-account gear, so sending gear to Alts to salvage is dead!
- All sources of seals of elements now grant Seals of Protector at the same rate.
- Can exchange old seals 3:1 at a trader until they are eventually removed from game.

Some great options. You can further ignore Storm King content if you lack the time, but pick up the rings with seals. You can get relic armor.

The negative change is around the use of Alts. Currently I can run dungeons on my cleric, which uses up my daily AD bonus from invoking. All of the drops I get and all the salvage gear I get from trading in seals, then is sent to my Alts, who salvage it so they use up their daily AD bonus from invoking. Seals of Prot give bound gear, which prevents my moving that salvage AD around. That would be a real drop in AD for me, for sure!

Now, some things will really improve. Parking your Alts in RD could be great, so they pick up a Ship HE every now and then, earn Seals of Prot, and cash them in for the rich AD items. Can't move the items around, but get more when you use the Alts.
Playing:

Alphastream

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 pm  

A bunch of new official posts since I went on vacation:

New Foes Await: Further information on the new powerful foes we will face. Looks like heavy on control (never my favorite, to be honest), including similar paralysis to that in Cloaked Ascendancy and a new Fear status effect that forces us to run away. Looking away protects us and the floating eye icon is the warning to do so.

Large dinosaurs can be toppled, which happens more often when striking from different sides. When toppled their defense drops. One of the big changes to the game is higher damage resistance, up to 85% (used to be a cap of about 60%). This calls for more Armor Penetration to deal with these foes.

As discussed previously, debuffs are changing, which overall mainly impacts top teams that were really focused on exploiting things such as multiple sellsword companions (which previously were 'uncapped', but now everything is subject to to a total debuff cap of 300% with diminishing returns). At an everyday level, debuffs continue to be very important to help deal with these higher damage resistance caps. You may want to look over your powers and features and consider ones that help debuff. If you want the details, this post summarizes the changes well.

They are also experimenting with giving monsters greater tactics. They now will have a set way they prefer to use powers, including movement to set up the powers, and learning these can make the battles easier.

Animating the T-Rex: A fun post on how they work to develop the animation.

Merchant Prince Lockbox: Details on the new lockbox, which includes a Warpainted Tyrannosaur dinosaur mount! You can also choose the unpainted Commander Tyrannosaur.
Equip Power: Fierce Predator (+2,000 Power and Armor Penetration)
Combat Power: Tyrannosaurus Rex’em (Your Tyrannosaur rushes into battle causing fear within your enemies, rooting them for 5 seconds and lowering their defense by 10% for 10 seconds. If the target is so unfortunate as to be a minion, your Tyrannosaurus will flip them into the air and devour them!)

There is also a Tamed Velociraptor companion.

Developing the Tomb of the Nine Gods: A video walks through some features. It features puzzles! The nine gods are a great part of the Tomb of Annihilation D&D tabletop adventure, so I'm eager to see what they come up with. IL of 12,000 is needed for this dungeon, and it gives the new Seals of the Brave for getting the new armor.

Tomb of the Nine Gods Environment: Further information on the tomb and how they approached developing it, including how the Dungeon Master's Guide from the tabletop game provided inspiration.

Reap the Rewards of Cult: New post on the new gear we can earn!
- IL 420 League's Gear Set can be crafted or purchased with AD
- IL 440 Pioneer Gear, requiring quests to earn with Chultan Riches
- IL 460 Pilgrim set, available for Zen/Trade bar purchase
- IL 480 Huntsman gear, which drops from legendary beasts and Tomb of the Nine Gods. Rings of the Slayer are also dropped and are IL 420-510.
- IL 500 Primal gear, available with Seals of the Brave, earned in new Chult dungeons

They also hint at new crafting resources and recipes.
Playing:

Alphastream

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:12 pm  

Playing:

Alphastream

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 am  

Patch notes are up, and buried near the end is this interesting bit:

"Legendary companions now give 16% stat bonus (up from 15%).
Each additional active Legendary companion now gives a stat bonus half the size of the previous one. Examples below.
Two active Legendary companions: 16 + 8 = 24%
Five active Legendary companions (Max): 16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 31%"

This is a very good new benefit, if you can manage it! (Guild members, see our tips for companions).

In other news:
- Duh, whole new area to explore! New dungeons! New armor! New gear! New cheap artifact set! Dinsoaurs! More!
- They changed how the Journal works! We can now search/filter!
- A new bag slot has been added. Players may now equip up to 7 bags, increased from 6!!!!!!
- CTRL + "]" now opens the most recently viewed Campaign this session.
- Players may now zoom the camera in and out by scrolling the mouse wheel up and down.
- Armor Penetration / Debuff changes (you hopefully read up on this. Summary: aim for 80-85% Resistance Ignored, debuffs still important but have strong diminishing returns around 200% and cap at 300%)
- Illusionist's Gambit skirmins had improved drop rate for silver and gold tiers!
- Seals of the elements replaced by Seals of Prot in all cases. Old seal gear retired.
- Zen store has companion tokens, campaign boosts, power points, and more, all for your hard-earned money.

Known issues:
- Armor Penetration stat on Companions currently does not apply to Companion damage.
- Prophecy of Doom: The fix to allow Prophecy of Doom to take its own damage debuff into account was incorrectly reverted. As a result, this power currently deals less damage than expected.

If you missed the information on armor sets, two good guides here on high end armor and low end armor including a spreadsheet of stat bonuses by gear type.
Playing:

•   Information